Tammisaari is an urban area in southern Finland’s Uusimaa region that received its royal charter in 1546. In 2009, it merged with two other municipalities into the town of Raasepori.
Tammisaari was once a village that earned its living through fishing and crafts, and was known as a safe haven for seafarers. Today, it remains popular among boaters, especially during the summer season, and over 80 percent of the population are Swedish speakers.
While many of the buildings in Old Tammisaari have been rebuilt over the years, care has been taken to preserve the winding alleys and lanes. Street names such as Hatuntekijänkatu (Hatter’s Lane) and Nahkurinkatu (Tanner’s Lane) offer a delightful glimpse into a bygone era.
Coastal Areas and Archipelago
Coastal Finland with its stunningly beautiful archipelago offers a variety of fascinating destinations that are easy to reach.
Tammisaari village grew up around the church, which still remains the central building of Old Tammisaari (known by its Swedish name Gamla Stan, ‘Old Town’). The stone church was built in the 17th century in Barckens Udde which is the oldest part of the town. All the buildings in this conservation area date back to the 18th and 19th centuries, and strict regulations ensure that the area will retain its history.
The Bio Forum cinema is Finland’s second oldest still-operating cinema. The first black-and-white silent films began to be shown here in 1912.
Beside the harbour, overlooking the sea, sits the Knipan restaurant. Its sunny terrace is the perfect place to enjoy a lovely summer’s day, savour good food and feast your eyes on the magnificent view. Pleasant cafés and a sandy beach are nearby, and from the harbour you can also embark on a cruise around the lovely Tammisaari archipelago.
The oldest part of Tammisaari is Barckens Udde.
All the buildings in this conservation area are from the 18th and 19th centuries.
On the terrace of Café Gamla Stan, coffee and cakes are served in the shade of apple trees as folk musicians entertain the guests.
While many of the buildings in Old Tammisaari have been rebuilt over the years, care has been taken to preserve the winding alleys and lanes of the town.
Summer is the most active season in the seaside city Hanko, the southernmost part of Finland.
Långsanda, a 1.6 km-long beach, is part of the so-called Eastern Spa Park, a recreational area of scenic and cultural historic value.
During Midsummer, people gather at the seaside by the Casino for a traditional midsummer dance, complete with maypole and bonfire. During summer, every Wednesday and Friday, a popular evening market is set up in the Eastern Harbour area. Another summertime event is the three-day Hanko Regatta, one of Finland’s grandest sailing events and well-known across the country.
The summer festivities conclude on the last weekend of August with the Night of the Ancient Bonfires, which commemorates the long tradition of using lit beacons as signals for seafarers.
The longest unified beach in Hanko is the Tulliniemi beach, which seems to stretch as far as the eye can see. This tranquil spot for sunbathers is also popular among both windsurfers and kitesurfers.
The most recognisable landmark, bright red water tower, built in 1943, holds approximately 500 cubic metres of water. In the summer it is also a popular vantage point, offering spectacular views of Hanko and the sea.
The Eastern Harbour of Hanko is Finland’s largest guest harbour, with moorings for some 400 boats. The numerous restaurants in the harbour area are ideal for enjoying a meal surrounded by the beautiful seaside scenery.
The warehouse quarter also offers an ample choice for diners. Many patrons are partial to the delicious seafood dishes served in the idyllic restaurants and, thanks to the proximity of the sea, the freshness and quality of the ingredients can be guaranteed.
The warehouse quarter by the seaside offers an ample choice for diners. Many people are partial to the delicious seafood dishes served in the idyllic restaurants.
During the summer months, visitors to Hanko are tempted by the fresh and delicious tastes of Archipelago.
Neljän Tuulen Tupa café commands an arresting view over the sea from its position on the island of Pieni Mäntysaari. Once owned and run by former Finnish President C.G.E. Mannerheim, the café continues to serve delicacies and treats to please even the most demanding of appetites.
Hanko built its first spa in the late-19th century. When the spa opened in 1878, the Casino was built to function as the spa restaurant. A summertime restaurant still operates in the building.
Old Porvoo is one of Finland’s most idyllic districts. The cobbled streets are lined with old, doll-house-like houses and on top of the hill a white stone church looks over the river valley. Wonderful in the summer, magical during wintertime. Only one hour East of Helsinki.
Lively Oulu is a gateway to urban culture as well as the unique nature of the North. The city is located on the shores of the Bay of Bothnia - where modern business and technology meet Northern peace and exoticism.