The Naantali Church was built between 1460 and 1480 as a church for the Catholic Brigittine convent. Now, this only remaining part of the convent is the largest medieval building in Finland, excluding the Turku Cathedral. The Church is known for its portraits of Christ painted in connection to the consecration crosses. Permission to build the convent was given on the 23rd of August 1443. This is considered to be the founding date of both the convent and the town of Naantali. The most recent renovation of the church took place in 2011–2012.