Summer of extremes
Because of the long, cold winter Finns celebrate their summer very passionately. Some go to music festivals, offering a choice of jazz, blues, rock, opera and chamber music. Others are kayaking or hiking or enjoying slow life at their summer cottages – swimming, fishing and cooking dinner on the grill. For three brief – but oh, so sweet! – months, the temperatures soar high and the sun does not set at all.
The summer isn’t endless in Finland, but there are almost endless summer days. In Finnish Lapland a single summer day lasts for over two months. In the southern parts of the country it is never really dark either, just a period of twilight for a few hours. On a fine summer day, Finns have an overwhelming urge to get outside and get out of town. From the beautiful coastal islands to the ever-present forests and lakes everywhere and anywhere in the country, the nature is always nearby, even with the largest of cities.
Towards August, nights grow darker and at the end of the summer it is already possible to see the Northern Lights – quite an extreme contrast to the Midnight Sun that just dominated the sky a few moments ago. If beginning of Finnish summer is all about sunlight, then the last sweet weeks of summer are about preparing for autumn.
What would you do with an endless summer day?
Tell us what you would like to experience in Finland this summer for a chance to win a 5-day-holiday for two exploring Southern Finland.
1. The competition is arranged by Business Finland – Visit Finland (later Visit Finland), P.O. Box 358, Porkkalankatu 1, 00180 Helsinki, Finland.
2. The prize is a 5-day trip in Helsinki, Finland, during June-September 2018, for two people. The trip includes:
· Finnair (AY) flights from London/Manchester/Edinburgh airport to Helsinki, Finland. Flights subject to availability.
· Four nights’ accommodation in Helsinki and in Espoo (3+1), breakfast included
· Tentsile Experience ”Night in the tree” in Nuuksio National Park, Espoo + transfers to Nuuksio
· Museum Card and Helsinki Design Walk
· Lunch or dinner in summer restaurant Saari
3. The prize is non-transferable and cannot be claimed in cash.
4. The winner of this competition is chosen by Visit Finland. Winner will be contacted directly by Visit Finland’s contact person. Participation is possible for adults over 18 years except the employees of Visit Finland and its cooperation partner in the competition.
5. The winner will be chosen by 5th of May 2018. If the winner can’t be reached within seven days of being notified about the win, new winner will be chosen.
6. Visit Finland reserves the right to announce the winner on VisitFinland.com site and social media channels.
7. Visit Finland will take care of lottery tax.
8. Any personal data relating to applicants will be used solely in accordance with current Finnish data protection legislation.
9. The winner should arrange sufficient travel insurance coverage for themselves and their carry–along property at their own expense as well other traveling documents. The winner bear full risk of any damage or accidents that may be encountered by them during the trip and Visit Finland assume no liabilities.
10. Visit Finland reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition or the rules without notice.
11. Disclaimer: winner releases organizers and all companies and other partners that have taken part in the planning and execution of the competition from all responsibility regarding injury or damage caused or alleged to have been caused by taking part in the competition, or by receiving the prize or by taking advantage of the prize.