Rules in Brief
1. You are nature’s guest. Respect wildlife and their natural habitats. Stick to the trails and observe “no go” zones where plants and animals may be vulnerable to a human footprint.
2. Embrace the stillness of the natural world and avoid loud noises.
3. Help keep Finland’s waters pristine. Use eco-friendly products and swim, don’t bath, do dishes or laundry, in the lakes and sea.
4. Conserve water by using less. Take bucket showers in the sauna, save rainwater and turn off the taps.
5. Unplug, and disconnect. Save energy and go off the grid even if you have power.
6. Eat wild, seasonal, locally-grown food.
7. Aim for zero-waste. Re-use and don’t just re-cycle. Avoid packaging and single-use products.
8. Love the Finnish “pikkula” – follow outhouse etiquette and don’t throw any unnatural products into the loo.
9. Relax and restore. Get the most out of Finnish cottage life by living slowly and sustainably.