How to choose a clinic in Finland
Choosing a clinic for treatment abroad has never been an easy task. Dozens of factors are affecting the choice: price-quality rate, emotional state of the patient, trust in the doctor, clinic and staff. In Finland, transparent price policy, trust, professionalism and ethical approach to every patient have been the cornerstones of healthcare for decades. In the country of thousands lakes, you can choose a clinic directly or through a medical facilitator.
Selecting the clinic through a Finnish medical facilitator
Getting into specifics of Finnish healthcare system, treatment methods, leading clinics and specialists inevitably takes a lot of time and effort and in most cases requires at least some medical knowledge. Meanwhile, time is of the essence when it comes to most diseases.
Medical facilitators serve as a link between the patient and the healthcare provider: they assist with organizing the treatment in Finland at all stages, select the most suitable clinic, offer help with preparing the necessary medical and travel documents, and take care of a comfortable stay in the country.
How to choose a medical facilitator
To avoid wasting both money and time, it is critical to find a trustworthy and reputable intermediary. Finnish companies AMBER LIFE, EMA, Helena Medical Group, Hohot Consulting, Luova Finland, Path Surgery, Ritzi, and Xclusive Finland have been working in the medical services market for a long time cooperating with leading Finnish private clinics. Thus, they can offer a treatment plan and additional services based on many years of experience.
The services provided by medical facilitators cover the entire treatment process. Upon receiving an inquiry from a patient, they:
1. Organize an online consultation or a personal visit to clarify the diagnosis and the condition as well as to hear patient’s preferences
2. Select a medical institution, arrange an online consultation or initial medical appointment in the selected clinic
3. Send the official quote and travel plan
4. Arrange the arrival to Finland with meeting and transfer
5. Assist with examination and treatment at the selected clinic
6. Monitor recovery and post-treatment rehabilitation
7. Arrange the return to the home country and follow-up actions, such as translation of written medical records
Finnish medical facilitators are striving to make the travel to Finland for treatment not only effective, but also as comfortable as possible. Apart from professional assistance with treatment-related matters, they can organize a memorable all-inclusive trip both for the patient and persons accompanying them.
● Additional VIP-services are offered by AMBER LIFE and Xclusive Finland
● Some companies provide free in-person consultations in Russia. In St. Petersburg, consultations are held by Helena Medical Group and Klinik Link (Path Surgery). The purpose of such meeting is to provide information about treatment opportunities rather than suggesting a treatment plan, however, it is held by medical professionals.
● EMA offers transportation services for international patients coming to Finland from abroad, including, where necessary, medical escort
Selecting a clinic in Finland on your own
For those trusting only their own intuition, it might be a wiser option to find a clinic themselves. Location, price, approach, not to mention a gut feeling that this is the right place – all this can be of a paramount importance when making the choice. In Finland, one can choose both a private clinic and a clinic offering services based on public university clinics.
University Clinics of Finland
There are five university hospitals in Finland, and two of them particularly welcome international patients:
● Helsinki University Hospital (HUS) is the largest hospital in Finland with specialists in the largest number of clinical disciplines. The University Hospital comprises 24 clinics, where 500,000 patients are treated annually and 100,000 operations are performed. Areas of specialization include obstetrics and gynecology, gastroenterology, hematology, neurology, neurosurgery, oncology, otorhinolaryngology, pediatrics, plastic surgery, psychiatry and psychology, vascular surgery, and urology. Foreign patients are served through HYKSin.
● Kuopio University Hospital is a large multidisciplinary medical center where 22,000 operations are performed annually in 26 operating theaters, and the total staff includes 4,300 employees. The main fields are obstetrics and gynecology, gastroenterology, hematology, dermatology, neurology, nephrology, oncology, orthopedics, otorhinolaryngology, ophthalmology, pediatrics, plastic surgery, treatment of cardiovascular diseases, and urology. Foreign patients are served through FinnHealth.
The advantages of treatment in university hospitals include availability of multidisciplinary expertise: in complex cases, the treatment plan is developed by a team of medical professionals representing various disciplines.
Private Finnish multidisciplinary clinics
Aava is one of the largest networks of private medical centers in Finland treating both adults and children. Aava has its clinics available in several cities, in addition, it is possible to have a remote medical consultation by phone with a therapist. Telephone consultations are provided both on working days and on weekends. Apart from that, Aava clinics offer a wide range of diagnostic procedures, including ultrasound pregnancy screenings.
Private specialist clinics in Finland
The advantage of treatment in specialized clinics in Finland include access to unique techniques that in some cases may be unavailable anywhere else in the world. Moreover, sub-specialization in a narrow area means more experience in this field, and, as a result, a better outcomes.
Docrates Cancer Center is located in the heart of Helsinki and focuses on the diagnosis and treatment of cancer. Treatment can begin immediately after the diagnosis. Docrates has gained recognition from patients from all over the world, offering advanced treatment expertise for nearly 30 different types of cancer. In addition to the three basic methods – radiotherapy, drug therapy and surgical treatment – Docrates can offer front line cancer treatment, including radionuclide therapy, immunotherapy, biological treatment and other.
Clinic Helena is one of the leading specialized clinics in Finland focusing on women’s health. The clinic proudly offers innovative methods of surgical treatment of breast cancer, endoscopic gynecological surgeries, modern standards of accurate diagnostics as well as latest advances in drug therapy and radiotherapy. The founder of the clinic, Dr. Helena Puonti, is a surgeon of the highest qualification and author of a unique technique – microneurovascular TRAM-breast reconstruction after mastectomy, which allows to reconstruct the shape of the breast and restore skin sensation. To date, the clinic has performed around 800 breast reconstruction after mastectomy and about 300 operations using the TRAM-reconstruction.
Coxa – Hospital for Joint Replacement in Tampere is the only medical center in Finland focusing exclusively on joint replacement. Vast expertise and experience relies on the highest qualification of the clinic’s professionals: every year, over 4,500 joint replacements are performed in the clinic every year. As a rule, patients can go home within 7-10 days after the operation. In addition, Coxa is the leading Finnish clinic for re-surgeries, requiring surgeons to have outstanding competence and experience.
Orton is the leading orthopedic clinic in Finland located central Helsinki. Orton offers diagnostic and treatment for disorders of the musculoskeletal system. The unique focus is made on the surgical correction of scoliosis and back surgery. In many cases, back surgeries are performed using computer-assisted orthopaedic technology CAOS that enhances the reliability and accuracy of surgical intervention. At the moment, the technology is available only in a few clinics in the world.
The Mehiläinen Neo Sports Hospital in Turku is one of the top centers in orthopedics and sports medicine in Finland and Nordic countries. The clinic specializes in the diagnosis and treatment of sports injuries and disorders of the musculoskeletal system – shoulder, elbow, hand, back, knee and ankle trauma. The clinic is often the first choice of world sports stars, however, a patient does not need to be a professional athlete go to Mehiläinen Neo Sports Hospital: the doctors understand the importance of a quick return to normal life for each person.
Helsinki Hospital is a private hospital located in the heart of Helsinki. The hospital was founded by top-surgeons to provide top-class surgeries. The staff comprises experts in neurosurgery, corrective and reconstructive plastic surgery, oral and maxillofacial surgery, surgery treatment of cancer, abdominal surgery, thyroid gland surgery, and spinal surgery.
When planning an operation to remove a tumour, the operation and treatment plan is often drawn up by a multidisciplinary team of specialists that may include plastic surgeons, maxillofacial surgeons, otolaryngologists, ophthalmologists, neurosurgeons, abdominal surgeons, gynecologists and others.
Dentistry and and maxillofacial surgery
Private dental clinic Hohde offers the leading expertise and latest technologies in dental implantation and treatment. Thanks to the use of advanced technologies, implantation can be performed in one day, and doctor’s mastery makes the procedure comfortable and painless. Moreover, a duty doctor is available every day at the clinic to provide treatment in urgent cases.
Medident is a medical center in Helsinki providing a wide range of medical services in the field of dental aesthetic, dental implantology and maxillofacial surgery, neurosurgery, reconstructive plastic surgery and post-traumatic reconstruction. In addition to aesthetic surgery, the clinic offers specialized treatment for patients with cancer of the maxillofacial area, with serious facial injuries, as well as corrective treatment of the maxillofacial area and the temporomandibular joint.