Durchgangslager Hanko 1942-1944
Over 200.000 German soldiers were stationed in Finland between the years 1941-1944. All soldiers were entitled to at least one "Heimatururlaub", every year. The camp was built 1942, with 130 wooden barracks, for 3000 soldiers.
Many stories about the German era are still waiting for to be told! And what happened after the Germans left in September 1944?
The camp was used for various purposes; Finnish prisoners of war from the Soviet Union were kept in quarantine, also returning persons from Europe. There is also an interesting history of barracks used as "Working Camp" for Finnish women during 1949-1960.