The Yrjönkatu Swimming Hall was inaugurated on 4 June 1928. For decades, it was Finland’s only public swimming hall. Its ownership was transferred to the City of Helsinki in 1967. The hall is architecturally valuable, serving as an impressive example of the classism of its time. Over the decades, it has retained its original appearance, and after the renovations which began in 1997, the fantastically restored hall was re-opened in October 1999.
There are separate swimming sessions for men and women, and bathers can choose to wear a swimming costume or not.